The Noble Academy Student Senate had it’s first full session during the 2011-12 school year. Rather than a small student council, which often becomes a popularity contest, Student Senate includes representatives from each of the upper division grades (7-12) and two junior members from lower division. Student Senators are tasked with being the voice of their peers in the planning and rethinking of how the school day works. Senators participate in at least two of five committees:
- Spirit and Events – Plan, budget and implement activities and events designed to enrich the experience of the student body.
- Acceptable Behavior
Make suggestions to existing policies from the student perspective, participate on a student honor board.
- Community Support – Support and engage with fellow students who are struggling socially or academically. Peer mentor for new students.
- Community Service – Plan, budget and implement service projects to benefit the school and organizations in the surrounding community.
- Finance – Manage fundraising, approve distribution of funds for student events, initiatives and causes.
Some successes from the Student Senate:
- Planned and sponsored activities such as Prom, lower division afternoon movie, upper division video game party, end of year carnival.
- Supported athletics program through selling concessions and offering incentives for attendance.
- Student led effort to update existing cell phone/electronics policy to allow 9-12 students to use electronics during lunch and recess.
- Supported Family Service of the Piedmont’s Change-ing lives service project to raise $2,047.69 to support victims of child abuse.